Day 57: A Visiting Friend and Making a YAHE Powerpoint

Friday, April 12, 2013

It's the 57th day of my ICS Volunteering journey. My friend and mentor from Mindanao visited me in GVSP to know more about the NGO and learn something about what they are doing. I asked Thea ( 1 of the Placement Supervisors) this morning if its ok for my friends to visit. I was so happy that she approved it.

Isabelle, my host home counterpart explaining
the photos on the wall to my friends.
Ate Jingkay (wearing white shirt) is working and volunteering as the Youth Desk of the Bishops-Ulama Conference which is an NGO that promotes peace building in Mindanao through dialogue. She is one of my mentors who molded me to become more culture sensitive to my fellow Mindanaons. 

I Love you! Let's learn basic FSL!
I also invited them to join the fun run on the 21st of April and explained about the Break The Silence advocacy run which aims to promote awareness and understanding of the Deaf Culture and the challenges faced by the Deaf community.
YAHE is one of the programs of CAD which promotes self awareness
to the Young Deaf.
Sonny, my co-volunteer who is very good at drawing also finished his task for the Young Adult Health Education. I extended for more than an hour to finish the power point because definitely there will be a lot of things to do tomorrow. :)

For the Fruit! Akyat! Akyat!

Late this afternoon, JP and the others were so happy to have noticed the fruit tree near the office. They harvested it since many of the fruits were already falling on the ground. 

The branch server is down. Walking to Lahug Branch. :)

I asked mother for some money today because we are going to Camotes Island on Sunday and it's not covered by the VSO. I find it important to join them because it's an opportunity for us to get to know the officers and member of CAD, learn how Deaf people have fun, and , how they plan and do things.

I said to myself that I wont be asking any money from my parents while I'm in Cebu City and I have done quite a good job so far - not until today. I'm really frustrated about myself but I know I have to do this. I believe it's doing beyond what is required of you. :)
Share this article :

1 comment:

  1. Hi Francis, I'm going to Cebu with ICS soon and I was searching for blogs like this and yours is very detailed :) it's good because I will know what to expect! Will you answer some questions for some of my friends who are volunteering with me in April? We would be so happy if you could! Please email me on nathalie.grace @hotmail.co.uk (without the spaces) if you can do us this favour :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. THE DEAF EXPLORER - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Inspired by Sportapolis Shape5.com
Proudly powered by Blogger